Monday, August 27, 2012

Lesson 6: God works His will, even if we aren't cooperating

Things are getting better each day. I'm feeling stronger and have greater range of motion, and I am so grateful that I'm able to do "normal" things again. The girls, my sister and I spent the weekend in Lafayette at a soccer tournament. I can't say I loved the muddy fields and scorching temperatures, but it was so nice to have quality time with the family. I had intended to call David's grandmother (who lives in Lafayette) for a visit, but got tied up in transporting, feeding and organizing my crew on Saturday and didn't get a chance to call her. It was a constant task on my mind, but I kept getting side-tracked.

After the first game, I took everyone to the Acadiana Mall to get some AC and food in between games. As we were leaving, I noticed a shop that specialized in shaping your eyebrows. I was looking at the sign and when I looked down to the door, guess who we saw exiting? You guessed it, David's grandmother, Lillian, and her sister Jeanette. These two beautiful ladies played a big role in David's life and I pray I am as spry and full of life when I am their age! They are true role models for all of us. They were doing a bit of shopping (and brow shaping :) ) and it was incredible to run into them. I know without a doubt it was God putting us in the right place at the right time...knowing that I couldn't get organized enough to plan a proper visit. Ma Lil got to see the girls and give everyone a big hug. What a blessing. So, I think my lesson here is this: God works His will, even if we aren't cooperating. 

Last week, we met with my oncologist, Dr. Militello. We were scheduled to meet with him on Wednesday (the day traffic stood still in Baton Rouge) afternoon. I think we were his last appointment for the day, but everyone was late before us, so it took us a while to see him. By the time he got to us, it was after 5:00 PM. Having nowhere to go due to traffic, he spent a long time getting to know me and my history. I really like him a lot and feel very comfortable with him. He is going to do a pretty aggressive chemo plan for me (which works for us, as we've been aggressive through this whole process). I'll start chemo on Sept. 6 and have 6 treatments, each spaced three weeks apart. I'll be given three different chemo drugs at each session. So, now we are in prep mode getting ready mentally and physically for the next 18 weeks.

Today is a big day for appointments. I am meeting with Dr. Freel (the plastic surgeon), Dr. Militello's nurse-practitioner for "chemo class" and finally, I'll get an echo cardiogram (one of the chemo drugs can be hard on the heart and he wants to make sure I am OK.) I'll have surgery on Wednesday to install (not sure if that is the proper terminology) a medi-port in my chest for the chemo. That is, if the storm Isaac doesn't mess with things.

Every day, I receive a note or email or care package from my amazing friends and family. I cannot tell you how much this boosts my spirit and feeds my soul. I am so thankful for all the amazing people in my life. 

To all my Louisiana readers, stay safe this week. Love to you all. 
Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment