Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Lesson 4: Failure is not an option

Tomorrow is the "big" day. Just had my final pre-op appointment with Dr. Freel (the plastic surgeon). Had to go to the new Woman's Hospital to get a shot of radiation in my breast for the Sentinal Node Biopsy...that was fun (not!) The new hospital is quite nice, but still in transition stage. Should be an interesting day for us. :)
This has been a very strange week as we "hurry up and wait" for the surgery. It's almost like everyone is walking on eggshells, trying to figure out how to act in this situation. I know it is totally strange for my friends and family. I'm sure they are thinking:

  • Does she want to talk about it or not?
  • Should I ask her to do something or does she want to stay home?
  • Should I call or will she think I'm bugging her?
  • Do we act like everything is normal or do we focus on what is going on?

I know this, because I have the same questions myself. I've been in limbo for the past week. I made my decision and was at peace with it, but a few days pass and you read some new study and think, what if I don't do both sides? I have to constantly re-confirm with myself that I made the right decision. 

Regardless, it will all be over tomorrow. I'm looking forward to getting on the recovery side of this. I've been doing yoga every day and drinking lots of fresh vegetable and fruit juices. Investigating moving to a non-dairy, low to zero meat diet. The family is freaking out about this...but I want to set a good example for the girls and teach them to take charge of their health. I'll let you know how this battle goes in future blogs. :)

We have been inundated with cards and food and well wishes that truly lift us up and make us feel so blessed. I know that the prayers are there and helping us along this path. God is with me every step of the way and I will continue to be as positive as I can (with as few breakdowns as possible).

My lesson for this week is: Failure is not an option. This marathon is just beginning (thanks for the analogy, Kara!) But, with this amazing support system I have, I'll finish the race with flying colors (or maybe just pink :) )

Love again to all you-
See ya on the flip side...
Angie

3 comments:

  1. Tiny and I are sitting on the couch in disbelief what has transpired this past month. We just saw you in June, how can this be? Before we completed the blog we were both in agreement to take them both so I am happy to hear that is what you had decided. On a lighter note; you are a beautiful writer and look forward to "following" you as long as you continue to write. We love you and will be thinking about you tomorrow.
    You have our prayers,
    Tiny and Marcy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angie, you are in my prayers!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrew Freel is a phenomenal surgeon and person! I worked with him at Earl K. Long during his residency. Good luck with everything and you have the right attitude to get through this!! Keep up the positive thoughts and you and your family will be in my prayers. Blanche

    ReplyDelete