Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Lesson 3: Appreciate the little things...

Just got a call from Dr. Christian's office and my FISH test is negative (yea!) This means that there is a chance I won't need chemo. We still have to wait until the Sentinal Node Biopsy to know for sure, though. Amazing how one negative result can lift your spirits! Another lesson learned: Appreciation for the little things.


Some other things I appreciate:


  • My wonderful neighbors who brought dinner by for the family
  • My friends and family who took the time to write a note of support and encouragement and put it in the mail (those cards are up and make me smile every day)
  • My daughters who are actually getting along right now!
  • My co-workers (especially my team), who have been so thoughtful and have picked up the slack since I've been in and out of work
  • My new-found perspective on what is important in life
  • and most of all...my husband who has been there every step of the way and refuses to leave my side (even though I know this is just as tough for him)
After much research and prayer, I have elected to do a bilateral mastectomy. I feel this will give me the best chances for no recurrence. I certainly don't want to go through this again, or live my life constantly worrying if the cancer is back.


Surgery is scheduled for Wednesday, August 8 at 8:00 AM. I'll have the Sentinal Node Biopsy (let's pray for another negative!), followed by mastectomy, followed by the start of reconstruction. It will be a busy day for the surgeons! I know I am in good hands, though, and will be beginning the journey of recovery from this.
Appreciate you all...you lift me up and keep me going!
-Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment